Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
The building at 104 Fifth Avenue is considered to be the oldest residential building in downtown Nashville, built circa 1820. Its two-story, symmetrical three-bay design in the Federal style was typical of middle-class urban residences. The adjoining building at 106 Fifth Avenue was constructed circa 1880. The lower floors of both buildings housed commercial establishments in the nineteenth century, including a cobbler shop and a drugstore, while the upper floors were for residential use. In a 1980s renovation, an eighteen-inch layer of silt and sand discovered in a sealed off basement provided evidence that the Cumberland River had indeed reached Fifth Avenue during the floods of the early nineteenth century.