This is a residential conversion of three downtown buildings into one residential loft development and is located at the gateway to the growing residential corridor along Church Street. These homes feature traditional loft elements, such as tall ceiling heights, exposed original brick walls, floor-to-ceiling windows and hardwood floors. One and two bedroom plans feature private balconies, interior mezzanines, and modern kitchens.
Church Street Lofts is located in the Cheatham Building, on the southwest corner of Church St and Third Ave North. The structure was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is a complex of three connected buildings. The three-story brick buildings have flat, sloping roofs and stand on a coursed limestone foundation with three full basements. Above the first floor, the facades of the buildings have never been altered from the original appearance. The second and third buildings facing Church Street have bays and are ornamented with stone belt courses and a corbeled brick cornice. The second and third floor windows have stone label molds. This pattern is continued on the corner building around to the Third Ave side. The corner building originally had a chamfered entrance, a common feature of 1850s construction. The corner is flanked by brick pilasters with stone bases and capitals.
John W. Walker was the owner of the property when the structure was constructed c. 1852 and first leased it to E.S. Cheatham & Co, who operated various wholesale activities in the structure, including a wholesale liquor and mercantile business. City directories indicate this use from 1853-1880. In later years the building had a variety of occupants and businesses, including an iron works, a plumbing company and a furniture store. It was renovated in 1979, and converted to offices.